Senior Full Stack Software Engineer (Search)
Engineers at Findmypast directly impact the way people research social and family history. We're passionate about building the best Engineering team in London!
What you will be working on:
- Developing Findmypast’s Search Platform which currently contains over 9 billion unique historical records.
- Designing, developing and deploying user experiences with focus on usability, high availability, low latency and scalability.
- Collaborating closely with other Engineers and becoming a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional team.
- You will take operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team and buy into a DevOps culture.
- Working in an environment that supports your individual growth through a detailed progression framework, daily learning hour, engineering guilds and attending conferences.
- Continuously improving our product through experimentation, running split tests and innovating on the service.
Things we believe in:
- Full stack engineering, working in collaborative cross–functional teams alongside product members.
- Continuous improvement and learning – we have a self-directed daily learning hour, mentorship, and engineering guilds.
- Engineering practices like pair programming, TDD, continuous integration / deployment, small and regular commits to master.
- A lean-agile environment, DevOps culture and flat hierarchies
Our tech stack:
Don’t know our stack? We help our newly hired engineers get up to speed quickly with our stack through a thoughtful and supportive induction programme.
Check out our tech blog here: http://tech.findmypast.com
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people learn about their ancestors. With over 9 billion historical records, we work tirelessly to digitise the world’s archives and help people discover and share their family stories. 18 million users have registered with our products and services around the world, which include Findmypast, Genes Reunited, and the British Newspaper Archive.
We’re a British-owned company of 150 based in Shoreditch, London and Dundee, Scotland, with offices in Ireland and the United States. We work in small, cross-functional teams to solve customer and business problems. Our work combines technology and innovation with personal human stories, and we enjoy celebrating success together. There are tech demos weekly, a monthly lunch for everyone, and parties and charity activities during the year. In a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market, there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business, and customers.
- Experience of commercial software engineering.
- Familiar with an object oriented language, preferably C#.
- Experience with Search technology, ideally SOLR, but candidates with experience with Elasticsearch will also be considered.
- A focus on quality, with TDD experience and a willingness to pair collaboratively.
Benefits vary by location. We're passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- Life Assurance
- Health cash plan
- Dental cash plan
- 26 Days Holiday + Bank Holidays
- Corporate gym discounts
- Cycle to work
- Season travel tickets
- Monthly Company Lunch
- Fully stocked kitchen and fresh fruit
- Regular Social Events
- Subscription to Findmypast website
Due to the high volume of applications anticipated for this role, we regret we are unable to contact you unless you are shortlisted for the selection process.