SEO Product Lead
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people learn about their ancestors. With over 9 billion historical records, we work tirelessly to digitise the world’s archives and help people discover and share their family stories. 18 million users have registered with our products and services around the world, which include Findmypast, Genes Reunited, and the British Newspaper Archive.
We’re a British-owned company of 150 based in Shoreditch, London and Dundee, Scotland, with offices in Ireland and the United States. We work in small, cross-functional teams to solve customer and business problems. Our work combines technology and innovation with personal human stories, and we enjoy celebrating success together. There are tech demos weekly, a monthly lunch for everyone, and parties and charity activities during the year. In a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market, there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business, and customers.
We’re looking for an experienced Product Manager with deep SEO expertise to help improve our website and app to enable us to progress customers to conversion and better attract new, qualified visitors through search. We want to be in front of customers at the right time, with the right content, within the right context. Search engines continue to evolve to match changing customer searching habits and needs and Findmypast needs to keep pace. We are looking for the right person to be a leader in this area, not only taking care of SEO basics, ensuring key improvements of the customer journey but also taking SEO to the next level with Think Big ideas. This is a priority for Findmypast and we have a team of talented and passionate Software Engineers to work alongside. You will be a commercial product owner with responsibility for continuously refining a compelling vision and executing. This is an opportunity to think imaginatively and expansively: there are no constraints. In addition to working with the dedicated Engineering team, you will be working closely with Marketing, Content and Brand and Finance teams.
What We Are Looking For
- Focused, hands-on SEO experience with a proven track record of success capturing and converting organic search traffic.
- Significant experience in product management with increasing responsibility.
- Excellent knowledge of the technical aspects of SEO.
- Knowledge of evolving SEO strategies and ability to translate to actionable recommendations.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Google Search Console, comScore, Webmaster Tools, Moz, Link Research Tools and/or equivalents.
- Exceptional collaborating and communication skills, with a "can do" attitude.
- Robust commercial and analytical skills, including the ability to analyse data, draw conclusions, develop recommendations and report out.
- You are metrics-focused: defining metrics for success and failure; ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions and make decisions.
- While you won’t write code, you should be able to weigh technical trade-offs and have in-depth discussions with Engineers on the nuances of complex engineering systems.
- Experience in agile, lean startup product management processes.
- In-depth knowledge capabilities of doing keyword research.
- Hands on previous experience of commercial SEO platform improvements.
- Technical on platform understanding SEO techniques to improve conversion.
- Ability to continually learn as the SEO landscape is continually changing.
- BA/BS preferably (ideally in a Computer Science or an Engineering-related discipline).
This role requires a thirst for continuous learning, commitment to action-oriented analysis, an attitude that anything is possible and a relentless focus on the commercials and the customer. The right candidate will thrive in a highly entrepreneurial, fast-changing and collaborative environment.
What You’ll Be Responsible For
- Establishing and continuously updating vision for SEO.
- Developing the commercial cadence for SEO improvements.
- Writing market, functional and system requirement documents and ensure clear communication and coordination of requirements to business and development teams.
- Creating and maintaining sequencing of projects, prioritization and trade-offs balancing short-term and longer-term strategic goals.
- Managing the execution of initiatives from idea through launch, while setting and managing the right expectations with all relevant stakeholders.
- Defining metrics for success and failure and analyse and create dashboards for key commercial and platform metrics.
- Forecasting traffic figures based on SEO improvements.
- Regularly reviewing metrics and proactively seeking out new and improved data/mechanisms for visibility, ensuring your program stays aligned with organization objectives.
Benefits vary by location.
We're passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- Life Assurance
- Health cash plan
- Dental cash plan
- 26 Days Holiday + Bank Holidays
- Corporate gym discounts
- Cycle to work
- Season travel tickets
- Monthly Company Lunch
- Fully stocked kitchen and fresh fruit
- Regular Social Events
- Subscription to Findmypast website
Due to the high volume of applications anticipated for this role, we regret we are unable to contact you unless you are shortlisted for the selection process.