We’re looking for a Product Owner to contribute to the future of the one of the world’s leading family history companies (with specific growth focus in the US and UK).
Family history is a high-growth market that is changing quickly, and central to our success will be the ability to ship compelling products that help our customers make discoveries about themselves and connect to their families. You’ll have experience managing products through from inception to launch and beyond, perhaps in the search, fintech or social space.
As a Product Owner on the Family History team and reporting to the Group Product Manager, your mission will be to deliver a delightful customer-centric experience that attracts and retains both new and existing customers. You will be skilled in using modern discovery techniques to uncover the needs of our customers. You will know how to prioritise multiple initiatives, informed by a range of factors: customer insights, market trends, commercial imperatives, current platforms, as well as inspired by the fast-moving technology landscape. Although not necessarily already familiar with the Family History space, you’ll be keen to learn the hobby and will be naturally inquisitive about how to improve the online experience for millions of amateur genealogists.
Working as a key member of the delivery team, you will help to build a collaborative culture that values great ideas backed-up by data and customer insight, good design, and efficient, repeatable processes. You’ll be able to explain the ‘why’ and ‘how’ of the product in order to bring the product roadmap to life for your area. You will also manage the ROI for your product initiatives and features and will be able to reflect on the costs, customer impact and commercial value.
You will love getting into the detail of bringing a feature to life, and will work closely with your team to make sure work is executed to a high standard. You will support the team while also influencing other teams to help meet company goals. As a Product Owner you will work in close partnership with engineering, data/content and CRM to create simple solutions to complex customer problems. Your main focus will be ensuring that we ship easy-to-use and effective family history experiences time after time.
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people learn about their ancestors. With over 9 billion historical records, we work tirelessly to digitise the world’s archives and help people discover and share their family stories. 18 million users have registered with our products and services around the world, which include Findmypast, Genes Reunited, and the British Newspaper Archive.
We’re a British-owned company of 150 based in Shoreditch, London and Dundee, Scotland with offices in Ireland and the United States. We work in small, collaborative, cross-functional teams to solve customer and business problems. Our work combines technology and innovation with personal human stories, and we enjoy celebrating success together. There are tech demos weekly, a monthly lunch for everyone, and parties and charity activities during the year. In a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market, there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business, and customers.
- Experience managing consumer products in market, through lifecycles.
- Experience with search technologies in large data environments, social products, and recommendation engines a plus.
- You’ll know how to harness experimentation, analytics, UX and user testing to inform product direction. You’ll adopt data-driven objective measurements of product performance.
- Strong written, verbal, and presentation skills. An excellent communicator at all levels. Able to build strong, collaborative relationships with cross-functional leaders in technology and marketing.
- A demonstrable interest in family history is a plus (historical records, family trees, research methodologies), as well as new technologies and innovations in the market (DNA, ML, VR for example), and passionate about customer experience.
- A hands-on problem-solver: you spend your time working out possible solutions rather than explaining why it can’t be done. You’ll show a bias for action, releasing customer facing product frequently and getting things done. You’ll understand consumer products both from a customer and technology point of view and will help teams around you to do the same.
- You’ll think globally with an ability to think and build products that are global in nature but localised in key areas, so as to resonate in local markets (specifically in the US and UK).
- You’re able to work between our Dundee and London offices, with presence in London on a regular basis.
Benefits vary by location.
We're passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- Life Assurance
- Health cash plan
- Dental cash plan
- 30 Days Holiday + 4 Bank Holidays
- Corporate gym discounts
- Cycle to work
- Season travel tickets
- Monthly Company Lunch
- Fully stocked kitchen and fresh fruit
- Regular Social Events
- Subscription to Findmypast website
Due to the high volume of applications anticipated for this role, we regret we are unable to contact you unless you are shortlisted for the selection process.