Site Manager (Digitisation Studio) (FTC)
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people discover their ancestors. We work tirelessly to digitise and preserve the world's national archives for future generations to enjoy. We're a British-owned company with millions of registered users across a plethora of websites including Findmypast (UK/US/IE/AU), Genes reunited and The British Newspaper Archive (UK/US/IE/AU). Our goal is to make discovery seamless for our users by surfacing the most relevant and personalised experience – drawing from the inventory of our 8 billion records.
Findmypast is now undertaking to digitise and make available online a significant historical source. This is a large project with different work streams in several locations. This role is based at the Office for National Statistics in Titchfield, Hampshire. This is an exciting opportunity to work on a large scale digitisation project within a public sector environment.
Please note that this is a Fixed Term Contract for 18 months.
Reporting to the Head of Data Development, this role is key in ensuring the smooth running of our secure digitisation suite based at ONS Titchfield. The successful candidate will be responsible for the following areas:
• Ensuring the day-to-day running of onsite operations
• Managing 2 Conservators, up to 10 Conservation technicians working for Findmypast at ONS Titchfield and overseeing scanning sub-contractor team
• Liaison and first point of call for key external and internal stakeholders at Office for National Statistics, The National Archives and Findmypast
• Compliance with security and Health and Safety standards
• Maintaining quality standards through full life span of project
• Compilation of daily and weekly reports on throughput against targets for conservation and scanning
• Troubleshooting and escalation of any issues arising
Essential skills and experience
- Self-starter with a great work ethic and can-do attitude
- IT-literate and able to juggle multiple communications media platforms such as email, Google Hangouts, Skype, Slack etc.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Project Planner, Gantt charts, or similar
- Excellent oral and written communication skills – must produce a weekly report detailing activities/outputs and actions for the following week
- Excellent organisation skills, process-oriented and meticulous attention to detail
- Responsible, reliable and flexible
- A team player who can motivate the team performing repetitive tasks in a target-driven environment
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of digitisation within a collection, library, archive and/or similar context
- Understanding of security issues, including Data Protection Act/General Data Protection Regulation
- Understanding of Health & Safety
The appointment of a successful candidate is subject to passing security checks.