Head of Technical Operations
We’re looking for an experienced Head of Technical Operations who can manage the operations and internal IT teams at Findmypast. Findmypast has more than 9 billion historical records and 18 million registered users globally, and has helped transform the way people learn about their ancestors. Family history is a high-growth market that brings the intellectual challenge of research to the emotional experience of interacting with families and relatives. You will help to build our Devops culture improving the automating of deployment and provisioning processes. You will be working to promote continuous deployment, build helpful tools, support the infrastructure for launches and make sure that everything runs with lots of nines. Working closely with developers, product management and operations, you will get involved in new feature development. As part of the Findmypast technology leadership team (TLT) you will also input in to the running and culture of the wider engineering teams based in London and Dundee.
- Work in an agile way, with planning meetings and daily standups, and choose the right tools for the job. A problem-solver, enjoy a flexible working environment and a strong team culture
- Ensure Internal IT functions support the business effectively to help build our products and business
- Own the production Infrastructure Architecture
- Keep up to date with Cloud provider solutions and benchmark against hosting our own solutions
- Work with CTO to define future hosting strategy
- Develop processes to ensure our hosting environment is kept up to date and secure
- Configure, implement, maintain and performance optimize high traffic web and development hardware and software infrastructure, including monitoring, logging and reporting systems.
- Analyse and report on performance bottlenecks to the development teams
- Manage the day to day relationship with our hosting and SaaS providers
- Work with the DC Thomson IT team where necessary, building a relationship to ensure Findmypast are prepared for group wide IT initiatives and projects.
- Provide feedback to CTO and other TLT members where appropriate on any failures and recommendations for improvements
- Input into the infrastructure budget planning to ensure spend is allocated in the most cost effective way and projects future plans are considered.
- Encourage everyone (developers, managers, product owners) to think about how new applications will be run and maintained
- Contribute to designing internal processes needed in the running of a high performance development and operations organisation
- Help everyone understand constraints around security, performance, cost and resulting trade offs
- Experience with systems level infrastructure architecture, configuration and management.
- Managing all aspects of the company's LANs / WLANs / WANs to optimise and ensure maximum resilience, security, availability and performance which will be regularly audited by 3rd parties
- Compliance with company policies, licensing, procedures and standards and helping us adapt to new legislation
Some, but not necessarily all of the following:
- Application tuning and monitoring
- A basic level of SQL knowledge
- Experience of working in an Agile environment
- Knowledge of load balancing techniques
- Working knowledge of Virtualisation
- Strong knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems
- Capacity planning
- Load and performance testing techniques
- Highly available systems design
- Building and administering logging and graphing solutions
- Configuration management tools; Chef / Puppet / Ansible