Junior Digitisation Operative
Our family history websites and digital products help millions of people around the world colour in the stories of their past. We aim to take our services to a new level of excellence, reaching new audiences and allowing people to discover and hare their stories in exciting ways.
Findmypast has been working with the British Library to digitise their extensive newspaper collection since 2010. This is a large project with different work streams in several locations. This role is based in the British Library building in Boston Spa, West Yorkshire.
This is an exciting opportunity to work on a digitisation project within a public sector environment. The successful candidate will have a great work ethic, a can-do attitude, be able to display evidence of good communication skills and high attention to detail. Great team working skills is a must and interest in handling rare material would be desirable. This role would particularly suit a recent graduate looking to gain practical experience in digitisation.
- To learn all the processes within the project
- To follow all procedures are strictly
- To meet targets in all sections of the project
- Prepare archive materials for scanning
- Scan newspapers and other archive material
- Quality control of images and metadata
- Work within British Library and Findmypast guidelines and procedures
- Ensure work area is kept tidy at all times
- To ensure that Health & Safety and Security Procedures are adhered to at all times.
- To carry out quality assurance checks, using specific guidelines given
- To follow procedure for dealing with problem documents
- To carry out any other reasonable duties falling within your capabilities, as the needs of the Company
- Experience of working to deadlines and targets
- Excellent communication skills
- Great attention to detail
- Competent IT skills
- Consideration and respect for history and historical items
- Team work
- Self Motivated worker
- An interest in history and archive material